NCALL is a NeighborWorks® Green Organization!
We're proud to announce that NCALL has been recognized as a NeighborWorks® Green Organization!
NCALL is committed to a green, sustainable and healthy organization and community.
It's about now. And it's about the future. Find out more here.
Below we share our tips to help you to do the same. We began with a green audit, then made a plan to improve the way we operate.
15 Ways to Go Green at the Office
- Identify a green representative on staff to provide leadership and training on green issues
- Print documents only when necessary and consider two-sided printing and copying
- Use 100% post-consumer recycled content printer and copy paper
- Send out e-newsletters and reports instead of printed materials
- Install power strips at workstations, turn off during evenings and weekends
- Utilize power saving mode on computers
- Purchase Energy Star rated computers, copiers, printers, and scanners
- Switch to LED or CFL lighting
- Post signs to turn off lights when leaving a room or install occupancy sensors
- Install programmable thermostats and set to 66-70 in heating months and 74-78 in cooling months
- Use paper products made from recycled materials in kitchen and bathrooms
- Encourage employees to bring dishware from home or use compostable dishware and utensils - eliminate use of Styrofoam
- Provide a recycling bin in staff kitchen area for glass, metal, and plastic
- Provide paper recycling bins near all office printers and copiers
- Encourage staff to carpool to work when possible
15 Ways to Go Green at Home
- Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs
- Install programmable thermostats
- Plug air leaks around pipes and outlets
- Avoid using toxic cleaning products, look for natural cleaning options
- Have your heating and cooling (HVAC) system serviced annually
- Choose Energy Star rated appliances
- Reduce water use by operating your dishwasher and washing machine only when full
- Install low-flow faucets and showerheads
- Consider replacing older plumbing installations with high efficiency or dual flush toilets
- Avoid bottled water - Install a home water filter if necessary
- Recycle all paper, cardboard, plastic, metal, and glass
- Compost certain household and yard waste, see how
- Use low-VOC paints and purchase sustainable FSC approved furniture
- Plant native trees to provide shade and wind protection around your house
- Use native landscaping plants that are heartier and require less watering